Final draft commercial eco-design document now published
Final draft eco-design and energy labelling regulations for refrigerating appliances with a direct sales function have recently been made available for comment. This includes: supermarket refrigerating (freezer or refrigerator) cabinets, beverage coolers, small ice-cream freezers, gelato-scooping cabinets and vending machines. Important information for end users and manufacturers includes:
- The regulations shall apply from 1 January 2020 with some obligations of suppliers to apply from 1 September 2019.
- Products with an energy efficiency index (EEI) of >110% will not be able to be sold after 1 January 2020.
- Products with an energy efficiency index (EEI) of >80% will not be able to be sold after 1 January 2023.
- Terminology and testing methods for the Regulations are consistent with those adopted in:
- EN 16901 (Ice-cream freezers. Classification, requirements and test conditions.)
- EN 16902 (Commercial beverage coolers. Classification, requirements and test conditions.)
- EN 50597 (Energy consumption of vending machines)
- EN ISO 23953-2 (Refrigerated display cabinets. Classification, requirements and test conditions)
- Definition of ‘specifically tested and approved’ which means that the product must have been specifically tested to the relevant standard and be accompanied by a certificate/test report or other documentation to confirm approval. In addition the product can only be placed on the market for the mentioned operating condition or application as evidenced by the technical documentation, advertising or marketing materials.
- Information on products must be entered into a product database which includes a public part and a compliance part.
- Specification of the information on the product information sheet, technical documentation and information that must be supplied by manufacturers and suppliers.
- Full details of how to calculate the EEI for all cabinet types (divided into: beverage coolers; ice-cream freezers; vending machines; gelato-scooping cabinets; vertical, semi-vertical and combined supermarket refrigerator cabinets; horizontal supermarket refrigerator cabinets; vertical, semi-vertical and combined supermarket freezer cabinets; horizontal supermarket freezer cabinets). An equation which combines all factors to enable calculation of the Standard Annual Energy consumption (SAEC) is provided.
The new Regulations create a new set of rules that companies need to comply with. In particular it is pertinent to note that the Regulations now prescribe that products must be tested and